Friday, April 4, 2014

Smiling While Catching the Wind


There is a place in the middle of the sunburned desert of New Mexico where white gypsum dunes stretch out for miles. I have wanted to visit White Sands ever since I started working in New Mexico and finally had the time to visit this week. I didn't expect to find myself full of awe since I have lived near the ocean for most of my life. Sand in my shoes is a common occurrence. But, this place fed my gypsy soul as I found myself at the top of a dune filled with wonder.

My original plan was to visit after working one day, but a huge dust storm closed roads and left me planted near the hotel. The next day, the winds were not expected to pick up until mid morning, so I made my way there before work. It wasn't a very long drive, but the scenery was stark, with high, jagged sandstone mountains and a vast ruddy desert. When I arrived the contrast of the white sands against the burnt sienna desert was striking.

The dunes are bright bleached white and seem limitless. There are high dunes and lower ones that look like rolling hills. People were sledding down the steeper dunes. If it wasn't so warm, it could have been mistaken for snow. Yuccas and other desert foliage hang on to life against the strong, dry winds. The strong winds added an element of exhilaration as I ran up and down the dunes; I wished I had a sled. As I was driving through, the most appropriate songs played on my iTunes. Songs I have long forgotten, but seemed to have waited for this visit to replay. Each song mentioned the wind or the sun and I smiled at the serendipity.

This memory will remind me of how beauty remains after a storm. During the dust storm, visibility was low, everything was covered in sand and dirty. Roads were closed and it felt like the waiting would never end. The morning brought clarity and proved that the storm was temporary and the desert still hung onto its mysterious beauty. I read that the dunes have moved, naturally, from the high winds and storms. Storms in our lives move us and most times, we aren't in the same place after we have braved them. I'd like to think this is a sign of progressively moving forward towards the next great thing or the spot we belong in. My hope is that during the next storm I face, I can remember this day and know that there is something beautiful waiting to be discovered.

The rest of my day continued more upbeat because of my short adventure. Minor setbacks like a client being late and a plane change due to maintenance couldn't keep me from smiling. I was so happy that I was able to see something so beautiful after a day covered in dust. As I was sitting on the plane, the flight attendant placed a folded up napkin on the chair next to me. He asked me to read it and walked away. What he wrote in the napkin shocked and encouraged me at the same time. It was a lovely end to my day and reminded me that genuine people and random acts of kindness still exist.


My White Sands Playlist (I encourage you to click on each link and watch the videos, they're epically hippie)
Dust in the Wind-Kansas
Catch the Wind-Donovan
Poems, Prayers and Promises-John Denver
Blowing in the Wind-Peter, Paul and Mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best post yet!

very touching

... after a day covered in dust <3