Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Knapsack on my Back

The Grand Canyon--red, rugged, magnificent and deep. My first visit was just a year ago. It was snowing, cold and unforgettable. The deep red and burnt sienna were bordered by bright white, untouched snow. The contrast was striking as was the freezing air that made me want to run back into my heated car.

Determined to stay a while longer, I pulled the beanie down a bit further over my ears, tightened the scarf around my neck and buried my gloved hands into my pockets. I stood there shivering yet could feel warmth in my soul. I love that about nature; it feeds my soul. Every time I am in a beautiful place, my soul instantly feels connected to the nature that surrounds me and I can't help but offer up my gratitude.

My return to this beautiful place is less than a month away and I am giddy with anticipation. This time, I will hike to the bottom and stay there for a couple nights. I have always wanted to backpack and this opportunity arose thanks to a couple adventurous friends. It will be lovely to see the Canyon from a different perspective and spend some quality time in its grandeur. The physical challenge will be exhilarating as well. I believe this hike will awaken my strength, courage and gratitude a bit more.

No comments: