Sunday, March 2, 2014

Learning to Soar


I just returned from my dream trip to Costa Rica and my heart is a contradiction of joy and sadness. Tears were definitely shed as I drove away from my lovely haven in Tamarindo. The past two weeks were full of magnificent nature, amazing encounters and lots of realizations. My intention for this trip was to keep my heart, soul and mind open to whatever was going to happen. I knew the dream was persistent for 10 years and could only imagine why. What happened was beyond my imagination--it was amazing.

The butterfly is my symbol for this trip. I remember having butterflies in my stomach as I purchased/planned the trip; I could not believe it was finally happening. I felt as if I was preparing for a first date with someone who I was immensely interested in. However, in this case, it was a foreign country. Not knowing what to expect is part of the excitement of adventure!

On my first day, I went down to the beach and yellow butterflies were flying over me. The scene was magical. The sun was intensely hot, the ocean was deep blue and yellow butterflies came to welcome me to the beach. Every day that I laid on the beach, I saw a yellow butterfly. One day, while I was swimming, a butterfly was out with me in the waves...incredible!

Butterflies are symbols of transformation, renewal and playfulness. The most important symbolic meaning is finding joy in life and the lightness of being. I found the bearable lightness of being in Costa Rica. I glided through each day calmly, joyfully and fully open. I even found that my playful side was alive and well.  My intention is to continue this lightness...at least make it a practice. Practice makes perfect and this lightness of being makes me soar to new heights.

No comments: