Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tamarindo Ballad


When I arrived in Costa Rica, I had no idea what to expect. I was hoping to lay in a hammock and drink something tropical and that was about it. I decided to go without plans and keep myself open to whatever came my way. I am so happy that I did. If I had planned my trip out, I would have missed so many lovely moments, people and reflection.

Tamarindo is the place where my heart opened fully, my soul was nourished and my mind calmed down finally. My days were filled soaking up the hot sun on wet sand, writing, drinking lovely coffee and cold coconuts, swimming in the warm ocean and yoga that pushed me beyond my limits.

I recognized my courage finally as people questioned my decision to travel alone and told me I was brave. I never would have described myself as courageous or brave as I still feel hints of anxiety every now and again. However, a very in depth Intuitive Painting course helped me reveal this trait and even own it. I could not have planned that encounter. I had never even heard of such a thing, but I love painting and decided to give it a try. If you are ever in Tamarindo, check out True Colors; I am so grateful that I did.

So many lovely people were milling about and since the town is small, it was easy to see them on a regular basis. Most people were from Canada and the North Eastern US as it is freezing for them right now. I found them to be warm, open and genuine. I loved having coffee and beers with them and sharing travel stories and life experiences. That's one of the best things about travel for me...the stories people tell. We all become storytellers when we experience something foreign. It changes us and we feel compelled to share.

My favorite book has been A Moveable Feast since I took an American Studies course in college as it opened my eyes to the lost generation of Americans living abroad in France during the 20s. I wanted to be one of them and write. There were many ex patriots from the states in Costa Rica each with their encouraging stories on how to live down there. The seed has definitely been planted and we shall see what grows.

Most of all, I want to keep the joy emanating from within. I want to take the habits and practices I learned during my travels and implement them daily. During my Intuitive Painting class I learned that in order to make a big change, I have to start with something small. For instance, practicing gratitude daily or beginning the day with a positive intention. Practice make perfect.

Costa Rica was a dream come true and I can't believe my time there has come and gone after 10 years of dreaming. The timing of this trip was perfect. As I look back on the past 10 years of my life, I know I was not ready to be as open as I was during my time away. I had too many hangups and unresolved issues in my way. I felt like an empty palate in Tamarindo; ready to be filled with a new picture of vibrant colors. I think that is exactly what I needed. I am donning a new outlook and am so excited to see what dreams may come next.

Muchas Gracias, Costa Rica!

2 comments:

tyler said...

Que lindo fue tu tiempo en Costa Rica. Do not stop dreaming and "writing" of those dreams and life experiences.

nanashouse said...

amazing discoveries and transformation!