Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Austin City Limits and Outskirts

Austin, TX is live music heaven and I was lucky enough to have to go there for work. Now some of you may think Texas=cowboys...it does plus so much more. For instance, upon arrival, there was a folk singer playing his music for all to hear. I immediately became excited and could not wait to explore the city! 

I soon realized that our convention was 35 miles south of Austin and was saddened to have to stay so far away from the vibe of the city. I looked into where to go in San Marcos, TX (where we were staying) that would entertain as well as leave an impression that the airport had already done. I found little to nothing to do there and secretly moped as we set up our booth for the trade show.

Luckily, I ran into someone I knew from previous trade shows and their company was heading into Austin that night and invited us to join! I immediately accepted. I couldn't wait to see some live music...

The first place we went to was the 'Chuggin Monkey'  the band was playing 80's rock and having a blast performing. There is nothing like watching a bald sax player turn beet red while busting out a mad tune...AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! There was also some amazing people watching, namely the Billy Idol look-a-like with a red bat tattooed on his chest for all to see.
Since we were in Texas, I asked if we could find a cowboy singing. Easier said than done. In this town, you can walk into any place and there is a stage with a band, but all genres are welcome. We finally found the singing cowboy. He was dressed up and everything. Yee Haw! No one was dancing, so I took it upon myself to start 'country dancing'. After his song, the cowboy asked me to go to the bar and ask them for an empty bottle for his drummer. I retrieved the bottle and the next song was played with the drum stick on the bottle...that's pretty country folks!

Then we found a sweet spot that was playing 90's grunge. We ended our evening singing along to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Green Day (when they were good), etc...!

I wish we had more time in Austin, but duty called and we needed to get back for work. I hope to go back some day on my own time to really soak up all the city has to offer.

1 comment:

~nanashouse~ said...

You find the fun wherever you visit!