Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Home to me...

Current home: 80's movie scene
I grew up moving a lot. I can't remember living in a place longer than 5 years. This may be unsettling for some, but for me, it was fabulous. I have an inner nomad that yearns for travel, movement and adventure. As a little girl, I was always by my parent's sides, never wanted to go too far from home. Moving wasn't a big deal, because I always had friends in my sisters and brother. After I left for college, the moving never stopped. There was too much to see and experience. (thank God, for jobs that have allowed some travel!)

I would love to be closer to my family, I know I can always visit. However, I am beginning to feel the yearning to be closer to my loved ones a bit stronger than usual. When I was in Oklahoma to visit Liz and her sweet family, I was hit with the harsh realization that kids change at a rapid pace. Christopher was walking, had 4 teeth and turned 1...already! Blake turned 7, speaks articulately and his personality is maturing. When I returned home, I called Jenny and planned a trip to see her and her family. I can only imagine how much her 4 have changed since I last saw them in November.

With that said, I realize that the cheesy saying "Home is where the heart is" is true! Am I getting old to realize such things? Not even 5 years ago, I would balk at such things, never wanting life to slow down. But, the truth is, I miss being near my sisters. I miss my brothers, nieces, nephews and parents. I even miss family dogs! This is by no means saying I would like to be next door ;)...but I do want more hug time with them.

So, I am challenging this large group of people (my family) to get in gear and plan a reunion. Let's pick a place somewhat near Northern California, Spokane, Oklahoma and the Central Coast and get together. I don't think we have all been together since Lizzie's wedding and that was over 3 years ago!!

What do you say??

No comments: