Saturday, May 21, 2011

Home Away From Home

I stayed in the room with the balcony
We stayed in this wonderful guest house in Porto. The name says it all. This place is definitely 'homey'. Our hostess, Sofia, told us to treat it as if we were in our own home. Every corner had a special touch down to ribbon tied around each towel in the bathroom. There are five floors, you enter on the second floor, street level, into a small reception area with a beautiful mural painted on the wall. The breakfast room is down the hall where guests have sparkling water, fresh fruit and tea waiting for them. The first floor is down a flight of stairs from reception. It leads to a room with comfy chairs and a projector screen. They were playing silent films on the screen when we arrived! So special.
The third-fifth floors consisted of guest rooms, two on each floor. Three rooms face the river, three rooms face the street. We had the street facing rooms. I stayed on the fourth floor and enjoyed my view, especially at night. One morning, I woke up to the sound of a child singing while kicking a soccer ball...so sweet.
Everything is vivid in Porto...the colors, the people, the energy. I loved staying in the middle of it.
This is in between the breakfast room and reception. There are books, a record player and old records waiting to be perused. I adored this little corner.
Breakfast room

personal touches everywhere

Sofia, our gracious hostess
When I return to Porto, I will stay here again. However, I will ask for a room on the river side.
OBRIGADA HOMEY!

1 comment:

~nanashouse~ said...

Beautiful! Your hostess looks as if she'd rather have a root canal than have her picture taken ;-)