Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Marrettimo Island

A cruise on the Mediterranean was the perfect way to begin the visit to Sicily. We departed in the morning and headed to Marrettimo Island from the port of Trapani. The sun was warm and bright, the water was bright blue-green and the company was a mix of people from all over the world. Good times! 
 I was fascinated with the color of the water. Of course, being on a boat with biochemists and such, they had to explain the reason for the color. I wanted to keep it less technical and more dreamy! But, I do appreciate the explanation of the copper in the water causing the color...thought I'd share.
 Marrettimo Island is small and has 600 or so residents. The structures are white with blue doors and windows and the streets are cobblestone...so very charming! I was so excited to see the contrast of the town with the water and the mountainous backdrop. Little did I know I was about to climb the steep hills and get views that took my breath away.
 I wanted to stay on the island and explore a bit longer. But, the trail was calling and up the mountain I went...
 What I saw along the way seemed surreal to me. The plants, the Roman ruins, the water, the trees...Amazing! The long hot hike was well worth it. At the top, they prepared a Sicilian picnic for us. YUMMY!
I can't forget to add that there were horses grazing along the road. I was so excited to see them, especially the pony. When we found them, the little one was nursing. Isn't nature awesome?!

No comments: