Friday, June 15, 2012

Andes day trip

A trek up to the Andes was planned for the second day of the Mendoza adventure. We started early in the morning to begin the 300km round trip. We stopped in many places to take in the beauty of this rugged terrain as well as taste local fare.
We began our journey before sunrise
 The Andes are a spectacular mountain range. As we were driving, I was thinking about all the mountain ranges I have been fortunate to drive through...Sierra Nevadas, Cascades, Rockies and the Alps. The Andes range is the most rugged to me. All of these places have their own unique beauty. I found the contrast of the desert with the snow to be very stark and magnificent.

3 Americans and a Portuguese in the Andes
I was travelling with a few colleagues. We decided to come early before our meeting with the International team. This was a great way to relax before "working" for a few days.
St. Martin Bridge
 St. Martin was the liberator of Argentina from the Spaniards. This is a bridge on the Mendoza river to commemorate the battles that were fought.
Very icy Mendoza river...brrrr
 I was fascinated by the ice in the river. Coming from California, I have never seen something like this. Arthur, who is from North Dakota was not as fascinated by my SEVERAL pictures of the ice in the river. Apparently North Dakota has ice as well...go figure!
Andes Artisans
 We stopped at a little village of Artisans selling local souvenirs. Unfortunately, Argentina is mainly a cash based society and my debit card didn't work up here.
Inca Bridge

Aconcagua-tallest peak in the Americas (in the distance)

Near the Chilean border
Once we arrived at the Chile-Argentina border, we had to turn around. But first, we stopped in a town of 7 people and ate an amazing lunch.
This day was quite memorable for me. I was actually dreading being in the snow and cold, but I found it exhilarating and refreshing. However, I don't think it was enough to convince me to be in the snow or cold more often.

1 comment:

~nanashouse~ said...

Oh Em, I cracked up at one picture. I almost thought Dad was with you!